Venue: Council Chamber, Gibson Drive, Kings Hill
Contact: Democratic Services Email: email@example.com
Note: Public part of the meeting can be viewed on YouTube Channel.
PART 1 - PUBLIC
Declarations of interest
To declare any interests in respect of recommended items
There were no declarations of interest made in accordance with the Code of Conduct.
Matters for consideration in Private
Exclusion of Press and Public
The Mayor to move that the press and public be excluded from the remainder of the meeting during consideration of any items the publication of which would disclose exempt information.
The Chairman moved, it was seconded and
RESOLVED: That as public discussion would disclose exempt information, the following matters be considered in private.
PART 2 - PRIVATE
Matters for Decision
Retirement of the Chief Executive
(Reasons: LGA 1972 - Sch 12A Paragraph 1 – Information relating to an individual)
To consider arrangements for the interim and permanent appointment to the vacancy created by the retirement of the Chief Executive.
(Reasons: LGA 1972 – Sch 12A Paragraph 1 – Information relating to an individual)
The Mayor proposed suspension of Council Procedure Rules 6.4 and 6.5 related to content and length of speeches and when a Member could speak again respectively to enable Borough Councillors’ appreciation to the retiring Chief Executive to be recorded. This proposal was supported by the Council.
The report of the Leader set out the proposed arrangements for the interim and permanent appointment to the vacancy created by the retirement of the Chief Executive for consideration by Members.
In response to concerns raised over the composition of the panel of Members appointed to recommend to Council the permanent appointment to the post of the Chief Executive, the Leader explained that there would be opportunities to engage wider group of Members at different stages through the appointment process.
All group leaders paid tribute to the Chief Executive and expressed their appreciations on behalf of the Council and their respective groups for the Chief Executive’s nearly 40 years of outstanding service to the borough and the residents.
In closing, the Mayor wished the Chief Executive all the best in her retirement.
(1) Adrian Stanfield, Director of Central Services and Deputy Chief Executive, be appointed as Interim Chief Executive from 13 December 2023 to 14 May 2024/Annual meeting of Full Council;
(2) Sharon Shelton, Director of Finance & Transformation, be appointed as Interim Deputy Chief Executive in addition to their substantive post from 13 December 2023 to 14 May 2024/Annual meeting of Full Council;
(3) Joy Ukadike, Head of Legal & Democratic Services, be appointed as Interim Monitoring Officer in addition to their substantive post from 13 December 2023 to 14 May 2024/Annual meeting of Full Council;
(4) Adrian Stanfield be appointed to the separate roles of Returning Officer and Electoral Registration Officer with effect from 13 December 2023; and
(5) a panel of Members, composed of Councillors M Boughton, M Coffin and A Oakley, be appointed to recommend to Council the permanent appointment to the post of Chief Executive.
Sealing of Documents
To authorise the Common Seal of the Council to be affixed to any Contract, Minute, Notice or other document requiring the same.
RESOLVED: That authority be given for the Common Seal of the Council to be affixed to any instrument to give effect to a decision of the Council incorporated into these Minutes and proceedings.